Thursday, December 27, 2012

DIY Kitchen Island


Since my husband and I are on a strict budget we have to find many cheap ways to "upgrade" our new home until we can afford what we really want.  To start, we desperately needed a kitchen island since our kitchen is so small.  My aunt was so kind and gave us her unused bathroom vanity and my parents gave us an old table top to make our own island.

So....this was our weekend project.


Free cabinet from my aunt.

My husband was quick to the project and I wasn't able to get a picture of the free table top before he cut it to size so here is a picture of the ends.




Here is the table top cut to size.

After the top was cut to size my hubby sanded the whole top and sides with a power sander.



After the top was sanded we sprayed it with polyurethane clear semi-gloss to help protect the top.
We let the top set for 24 hours and put 3 coats of polyurethane on it. Then, we used nail glue (made for wood) to attach the paneling to the back of island. Then we put trim on the corners to cover the ends of the paneling to give it a finished look.
Lastly, we attached the table top to the cabinets and cleaned it inside and out.
Finally, the completed project.  Only about $80 in supplies, 5 hours of labor and LOTS of help from my dad gave us a new, cheap and a greatly needed kitchen island.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...